10/03/2011

Andy Rooney’s Last Essay on “60 Minutes”

andy rooney 60 minutes

Click to Enlarge

Link to image article

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania –October 3 –

Andy signed off “60 minutes” last night:

"A writers' job is to tell the truth. I believe that if all the truth were known about everything in the world it would be a better place to live. I know I've been terribly wrong sometimes, but I think I've been right more than I've been wrong....

I've done a lot of complaining here, but of all the things I've complained about, I can't complain about my life. My wife Margie and I had four good kids...now there are grandchildren. I have two great grand children although they're a little young for me to know how great they are. And all this time I've been paid to say what is on my mind on television. You don't get any luckier in life than that.

A bit of humor:

"He could take the long view, but he could also sound like a man out of time or, some would say, out of touch ... I don't know who Lady Gaga is," he said recently, "and kids today probably don't know who Ella Fitzgerald was."

Morley Safer interviewed Andy, and one of the statements Andy made, as I recall, “I’m going to die. I don’t want to die, but it’s going to happen”. Andy is 92 years old. Speaking of old age; Little Jimmy Dickens is 90. He performs regularly on the Grand Ole Opry.

So, I salute Andy, and wish him well.

Newsvine Column with comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged.